Marijuana has always been thought to be a risk to mental health. However, studies also found medical marijuana beneficial, especially in pain management.
Persons smoking marijuana may notice that they have difficulty staying focused or recalling essential details. This condition is a result of the presence of THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) in marijuana.
THC is marijuana’s primary psychoactive ingredient. Its composition is similar to endogenous cannabinoids that function as neurotransmitters responsible for sending chemical messages between nerve cells throughout the nervous system.
Like other endocannabinoids, THC connects itself to molecules that are called cannabinoid receptors on the brain nerves that govern mood, memory, and appetite.
As a result, smoking marijuana causes impaired thinking. It interferes with an individual’s ability to learn and perform related tasks.
The brain functions as a security system in the body. It keeps a record of everything. When THC lodges into the brain receptors, the body’s senses are impaired and there is a loss of coordination.
Prolonged cannabis use can lead to developing Alzheimer’s. When the brain regresses, restoration is impossible. Further damage can be prevented, however.
Challenging the brain is one way of exercising it to avoid conditions such as dementia. Activities that stimulate the brain include solving word puzzles, math problems, and even online games.
Marijuana also has a compound called CBD (cannabidiol), which is found to have multiple health benefits.
CBD is thought to have an anti-inflammatory effect on the central nervous system. For this reason, CBD has effects on the brain that translate to benefits in the body.
The misconception regarding the use of marijuana has tainted the image of cannabis. It is also an obstacle in further studying the maximum benefits of cannabis in the medical world.
The Benefits of Cannabis
Here are some of the known benefits of cannabis.
- It helps in managing depression and anxiety. Cannabis can induce the release of endorphins, thus, making an individual feel better.
- It helps prevent seizures. Cannabis helps improve brain health by invigorating the electrical activity of the brain.
- It helps treat schizophrenia. Cannabis helps in the ability of the nervous system to connect all neurons in the brain and transmit appropriate messages to all parts of the body.
- It improves cognitive ability. Cannabis has therapeutic effects on the mind that help improve the power of the brain to focus, learn, comprehend, and retain information.
- It helps cure PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder). Cannabis increases serotonin levels, which helps in dealing with symptoms of PTSD.
- It helps manage stress. Cannabis uplifts the mood. It controls appetite and induces a feeling of calmness.
- It improves sleep.
- Is There a Link Between Marijuana Use and Psychiatric Disorders?. https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/there-link-between-marijuana-use-psychiatric-disorders
- Marijuana and Pain. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK224384/
- What are Marijuana’s Effects? https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/what-are-marijuana-effects
- An Evidence Based Review of Acute and Long-Term Effects of Cannabis Use on Executive Cognitive Functions. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3037578/
- Cannabis and the Brain. https://academic.oup.com/brain/article/126/6/1252/330602
- Marijuana Use May Impair Your Coordination. https://www.livescience.com/56932-marijuana-use-impairs-motor-skills-coordination.html
- Marijuana and Dementia. https://www.therecoveryvillage.com/marijuana-addiction/marijuana-and-dementia/
- 5 Myths About Marijuana Addiction, Debunked. https://www.webmd.com/connect-to-care/addiction-treatment-recovery/marijuana/marijuana-addiction-myths
- Benefits of Cannabis for Mental Health. https://cannacon.org/benefits-of-cannabis-for-mental-health/
- Cannabis, Cannabinoids, and Sleep: A Review of the Literature. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28349316/
Casey aspires to become a mother who raises a naturally healthy family. Apart from her love for nature and wellness, Casey also believes that veganism has improved her well-being. She is a vegan advocate who believes in the healing power of CBD. Casey believes that veganism has improved her well-being. She is a vegan advocate who believes in the healing power of CBD. She has recently taken an interest in what happens inside the body and how our bodies change.